NAJA Milestone Achievement Award
The NAJA Milestone Achievement Award offers a prize to recognize an individual making substantial contributions to society through outstanding journalism over the course of their career.
For almost 200 years, Native communities have been aware of the importance of journalism. And today, more than ever, Indian Country needs media focused on Native people by Native people.
Since the creation of the Native American Press Association in 1983, now the Native American Journalists Association, there have been many journalists who have filled leadership roles, exemplified the NAJA mission and left a lasting impact on media.
The NAJA Milestone Achievement Award recognizes important contributions made by journalists in the past, as well as encourages the new generation of Native journalists to achieve career excellence. This award honors NAJA’s mission and the exemplary people who have led the way with outstanding work and contributions to the field of journalism.
There is no cost to nominate a candidate for this award.
Criteria for the award includes:
- Body of journalistic work during career
- Contribution to society through outstanding journalism
- Recognition and respect from peers and community
- Significant contributions to the advancement of Native Americans in the field of journalism
- Nominations require a letter listing details of the lifetime contribution of the candidate to Native journalism, NAJA, free press, etc.
- Candidates’ contributions to the field of journalism should be supported with documentation (examples could include resumes, websites, publications or any materials which adequately showcase the work of the nominee). See the nomination form for more details.
- The NAJA Board of Directors and or a board-appointed committee will review nominations and select a winner of the Milestone Achievement Award.
- The winner will be notified prior to the 2014 National Native Media Conference where he or she will be recognized for their award at the Media Awards Banquet July 12, 2014.
2014 NAJA Milestone Achievement Award Entry Form