National Native Media Awards
2015 National Native Media Award Entry Rules and Guidelines
The Native American Journalists Association is now accepting entries for the 2015 Media Awards competition, which recognizes excellence in the reporting, presentation and coverage of stories in Indian Country. NAJA will accept submissions of members' work produced Jan. 1 – Dec. 31, 2014.
Categories are divided by membership type: professional, associate or student. Please ensure entry in the correct category according to your individual membership type. For the Professional category, each division will have a separate entry form.
- Division 1 - Circulation below 4,000
- Division 2 - Circulation 4,000 - 8,000
- Division 3 - Circulation above 8,000
Contenders for the excellence in beat reporting award will be journalists who showed commitment to a subject area over the course of at least a year in 2014 to produce stories that broke news, kept governments or people in positions of power accountable, and/or told compelling stories that could have only been produced through sourcing on a beat.
Applicants must submit 3-5 samples of writing, photography, videography, audio clips or digital interactives produced at different points over the course of the year.
2015 NAJA Media Awards rules and guidelines:
- Contest entries will be accepted through April 30, 2015.
- Contestant must be a current NAJA member at time of entry and also at the time of the NAJA media awards July 11, 2015.
- Submitted entries must have been published, broadcasted, or posted on or between Jan. 1, 2014 - Dec. 31, 2014.
- If an editor or producer is entering the work of an employee, the employee must be a current NAJA member or the work will not be considered.
- Cost is $25 per entry for professionals and $15 for students.
- Individuals may submit three separate entries in any one category, as desired. Entries in multiple categories are encouraged. (Example: In the best news photo category, an individual may submit up to and no more than three different photos to compete against each other in addition to competing with other outlets’ submissions.)
- Each entry must have an accompanying entry form and payment. Only complete entries with full payment received on or before April 30 will be judged.
- NAJA may not issue refunds once entries have been received.
- Entries will not be returned.
- General excellence awards are for Native American-owned media outlets that are at least 50 percent Native-owned, managed or controlled.
- Applicants should submit links to three separate and complete print issues or broadcast programs to be considered for the general excellence and or layout categories. For these categories, the $25 fee covers all submitted entry links.
- Non-Native associate NAJA members may enter the Associate Category.
- Only those categories with a minimum of three entries from three separate persons or organizations will be judged.
- Entries produced by the Native Health News Alliance will not be eligible for submission.
- All winners will be recognized at the Media Awards Banquet at the National Native Media Conference July 11, 2015, where recipients may collect their awards. If winner is unable to attend the banquet, arrangements for shipping after the conference may be made.
- Payments may be made online via PayPal or with a check or money order.
For questions about media awards submissions or payment, contact NAJA Membership and Communications Manager Rebecca Landsberry by email at [email protected] or phone at 918-652-5612.
To Join NAJA as a New Member:
To purchase a new NAJA membership, click the “Join NAJA” option located under “Membership” tab on the website at www.naja.com. This will direct you to the new membership portal where you will complete an online application and select a payment option by following the prompts on your screen.