Each year, the Native American Journalists Association celebrates members' achievements and recognizes journalists who tell the stories of Indian Country.
The 2013 NAJA Media Awards banquet was held July 20 during the national conference in Tempe, Ariz.
All entries should be submitted by Friday, May 3, 2013 in order to be considered for judging in their respective categories, which are listed below under "Contest Rules."
- The Richard LaCourse Award sponsored by the Gannett Foundation recognizes excellence in investigative reporting in print or broadcast. If broadcast, place on CD/DVD or Flash Drive. The winner will receive a $5,000.00 award. No division categories for this entry.
Please note that all entries should be sent with payment to:
2013 NAJA Media Awards
c/o Native American Journalists Association
University of Oklahoma
Gaylord College of Journalism
395 W. Lindsey St.
For more information, call (405) 325-1649.
2013 NAJA Media Awards Contest Rules
- Contest entries will only be accepted from now to May 3, 2013.
- Contestant must be a current NAJA member at time of entry and also at the time of the NAJA media awards July 20, 2013.
- Submitted entries must have been published, broadcasted, or posted by Jan. 1, 2012- Dec. 31, 2012.
- If an editor or producer is entering the work of an employee, the employee must be a current NAJA member or the work will not be considered.
- Cost is $25 per entry and $15 for students.
- Individuals may turn in three separate entries in any one category as desired. Entries in multiple categories are encouraged.
Divisions for newspaper entries are:
Division 1-Circulation of 20,000 +
Division 2-Circulation 15,000-19,999
Division 3-Circulation 10,000-14,999
Division 4-Circulation 5,000-9,999
Division 5-Circulation of less than 5,000
• Best Photo - submit only 3 8x10 prints with respective division category
• Best Radio-single news story no longer than 10 minutes. Feature story no longer than 15 minutes as a file on CD or flash drive.
• Best TV-Single story no longer than 10 minutes as a file on CD/DVD or flash drive. DIVISIONS ARE COMMERCIAL/NONCOMMERCIAL
• Best Layout- 3 different and complete issues per entry within your respective division category.
• Best Online Newspaper- 8.5 x 11 copy of home page and URL address within the respective division category.
• General Excellence- Print, Radio, & TV; three different and complete issues per entry within the respective division category
• College/High School- print, two entries; broadcast, no longer than ten minutes; three different issues for General Excellence
• Richard LaCourse Award- Excellence in Investigative Reporting in Print or Broadcast, (if broadcast please send in on CD/DVD or flash drive. No division categories for this entry)
7. Each entry must have its own entry form and payment must accompany each entry. Each entry (clip, DVD, CD, flashdrive) should have last name of member contestant legibly displayed.
8. NAJA will verify proof of Native American or First Nations (Canadian) ancestry (i.e. CDIB, enrollment card or letter from his or her tribe stating enrollment) through membership records. This EXCLUDES ASSOCIATE CATEGORY.
9. Only fully completed entry forms with full payment will be judged.
10. General excellence awards are for Native American owned media outlets that are at least 50% Native American owned, managed or controlled.
11. Judges’ decisions are final and entries will not be returned.
12. Because of status within NAJA, Associate members can only enter the Associate category.
13. All categories will be recognized at the 2013 NAJA Media Awards Banquet, but only those categories with a minimum of three entries from three separate persons or organizations will be judged.