NAJA Job Board
- Emp Type:
- Des Moines, Iowa.
- Main Duties:
- The Associated Press seeks a temporary reporter (beginning 1/6/14, for 18 weeks) to cover state government and politics in Des Moines, Iowa.
Reporting to the Iowa News Editor, this temporary reporter will focus on political and government news from Iowa that has relevance both inside the state and across the globe. He/she should be able to produce content in multiple formats (text, photo, video and audio) and will work with the Iowa News Editor to set the beat's agenda and produce reporting for the AP's newspaper, online and broadcast markets.
The successful candidate will:
• Identify and develop stories that break news, have impact and are exclusive to the AP.
• Report and produce compelling enterprise for state, national and global audiences, with a strong focus on accountability journalism.
• Execute those stories in all formats, in a timely fashion and under deadline pressure.
• Report and produce content on deadline in competitive situations.
- Required Knowledge:
- Candidates should have demonstrated excellence as a beat reporter, and have a proven record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing about complex issues in a clear and engaging way. Applicants need to understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats.
- Required Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
• Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.
• Ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and work accurately under deadline pressure.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
• Demonstrated aggressive use of public records and computer-assisted reporting experience is a plus.
- Special Requirement:
- Application Process:
- For consideration, apply via the following URL: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH09/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=AP&cws=1&rid=3206
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer