- Emp Type:
- Chicago, Ill
- Main Duties:
- The Associated Press seeks a temporary text editor (beginning 1/6/14, for 40 weeks) for its Central Regional Desk in Chicago.
Editors on the Central Regional Desk edit and publish text from a 14-state region stretching from Michigan to the Dakotas and south to Texas. Desk editors are part of a dynamic, 24/7 operation and work with editors from photo, interactive design, video and broadcast to ensure AP owns coverage in all formats. Desk editors work closely with news editors and reporters in bureaus across the region to ensure AP content is accurate, well-written, packaged creatively and moves quickly. They ensure that urgent news is published promptly and accurately, while keeping an eye toward developing the story throughout the news cycle and beyond. They work on stories at both the state and national level, and in different formats, opening up multiple AP and industry career paths. Work at night and on weekends is required for this position. The successful candidate will have:
• Outstanding communications skills, including the ability to cooperate with and direct reporters and editors remotely.
• The ability to work in multiple formats and/or as part of a team that includes editors and reporters working in multiple formats.
• The ability to adapt to a fast-changing news environment and provide support at critical times to AP reporters on deadline.
- Required Knowledge:
- Required Experience:
The ideal candidate will have three or more years of professional news experience, with a history of leading and shaping stories, and editing creatively so that stories appeal to national and global audiences. Editors must have a broad understanding of state, national and international news perspectives, outstanding news judgment and a history of generating unique story ideas in a competitive environment. The will embrace new and emerging technology and alternative storytelling techniques. A desk editor also must have:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
• Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Special Requirement:
- Application Process:
- For consideration, apply via the following URL: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH09/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=AP&cws=1&rid=3200
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.