NAJA Job Board
- Emp Type:
- The School of Journalism in the College of Arts, Media and Design; Northeastern University - Boston, MA
- Main Duties:
- The School of Journalism in the College of Arts, Media and Design invites applications and nominations for a cluster of tenure-on-entry full or associate professor or tenure-track assistant professor positions in visual journalism and emerging media.
The School of Journalism has three distinct advantages. One, the faculty conducts courses of study in a strong diversity of practices, including visual journalism, emerging and interactive media, investigative journalism, ethics in public discourse, public relations, broadcast and sports journalism. Two, we are located within a major private global research university and a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement and interdisciplinary research. Also, the College has a unique combination of disciplines, including Architecture, Art + Design, Game Design, Communication Studies, Journalism, Media and Screen Studies, Music, and Theatre. Three, we are in Boston, a thriving urban center of culture and innovation with extensive global connections. See: www.northeastern.edu/camd
- Required Knowledge:
- We seek candidates with a national or international record of excellence in the creative practice, innovative research, substantive scholarship and teaching in one or more of, and not limited to, the following interdisciplinary areas: visual journalism; storytelling; interactive media; audio and video; social media and digital storytelling; and the impact of emerging media on the profession. Candidates should have a strong interest in collaborative work in these dynamic fields of practice, and could be considered for joint positions with other academic disciplines within the College and the University.
- Required Experience:
- Candidates must have a minimum of a master’s degree in journalism or related fields, and must also have a considerable professional record and/or scholarship in visual and digital journalism and emerging media. Candidates must demonstrate a high potential to advance their field, are expected to have a broad understanding of accepted standards of good journalism practice, must be prepared to teach at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and must have a well-developed research project that will inform and advance current trends in the field.
- Special Requirement:
- Application Process:
- All applications must be submitted electronically at http://www.northeastern.edu/camd/about/careers/. If viewing this through a Northeastern website, click on “Apply to this Position” above. Candidates must include a letter of application describing research, teaching and relevant professional experience, along with a curriculum vitae and evidence of teaching excellence. Candidates should also provide the contact information of three references. Letters of recommendation and portfolios of creative work or research should not be submitted, but they may be requested later during the search process. Applications received on or before October 15, 2013, will be guaranteed full review. The start date for the position is the fall 2014 semester. Inquiries may be directed to Professor Dan Kennedy, chair of the search committee, at [email protected]